The History of JJ’s Waste & Recycling
JJ’s Waste & Recycling (J.J. Richards) was established by Joseph John Richards, who won his first refuse and sanitary curbside collection contract in Murwillumbah Shire in 1932.
The company has come a long way since those days, and today the company has operations throughout Queensland, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Northern Territory, Tasmania and New Zealand. JJ’s Waste & Recycling has a fleet of over 1,800 vehicles and employs over 2,200 people.
JJ’s Waste & Recycling performs a variety of solid, hazardous and liquid waste collection services for over 110,000 commercial customers, and it performs 2.5 million domestic garbage, recycling, sanitary and green waste collections services per week, under contract, for 63 local authorities throughout Australia and New Zealand.
The services provided by JJ’s Waste & Recycling today extend well beyond domestic curbside; they now include an extensive range of commercial and domestic services, providing customers with Total Waste Management Solutions for all of their waste issues.
The company continues to be owned and managed by the family of the founder and has grown to be one of the largest privately owned waste management companies in Australia.